Teipen Logo

Incorrect W-2 or Form 1099? Here’s what to do:

Posted on March 11, 2023

Don’t delay in pulling together all your forms, documents and tax information ahead of April’s deadline. You want to have time to follow up on missing or incorrect documents.

You should have received income documents by the end of January. These may include:

  •  Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
  •  Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income
  •  Form 1099-INT, Interest Income
  •  Form 1099-NEC, Non-employee Compensation
  •  Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments; like unemployment compensation or state tax refund

What if you are missing a form or received one you know is incorrect?

Teipen CPAs recommend:

  • Taxpayers who haven’t received a W-2 or Form 1099 should contact the employer, payer or issuing agency and request a copy of the missing document or a corrected document.
  • If you can’t get an updated form, contact our CPA team or the IRS (800-829-1040) for help.
  • Even if you don’t have the needed corrected forms, Teipen CPAs caution our clients to file their tax return on time, providing the employer’s or payer’s name, address and phone number.
  • Estimate the income amounts you believe are correct when forms are incorrect or missing, providing whatever documentation you have, and complete and attach Form 4852 or Form 1099-R with your corrected wages and earning amounts.
  • After you contacts the IRS about missing documents or file your return, the IRS will send you one of these forms:

Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, Etc.

What if your Unemployment Form 1099-G is incorrect?

If you receive an incorrect Form 1099-G for unemployment benefits,  contact the issuing state agency to request a revised Form 1099-G. If you are unable to obtain a timely, corrected form from the state, you should absolutely still file an accurate tax return, reporting only the income they received.

Not sure about any of this? Contact our CPA team and we will guide you through the process or help you file or go to IRS.gov for more information:
Amended Returns
Should I File an Amended Return?
W-2 – Additional, Incorrect, Lost, Non-Receipt, Omitted
Let Us Help You