Teipen Selanders Poynter & Ayres wants to be sure you know your rights
Posted on March 12, 2020
Our CPA team wants you to know your rights this tax season. They are important fundamental rights, and as a citizen, we believe you should know what they are.
The Taxpayer Bill of Rights defines the fundamental rights of every taxpayer.
Your Bill of Rights includes the right to:
- Receive prompt, courteous, and professional assistance from the IRS.
- Be addressed in a way you can easily understand.
- Obtain clear and easily understandable communications from the IRS.
- Speak to a supervisor about poor or inappropriate service.
When engaging with the IRS you can also expect that:
- IRS representatives will listen objectively and consider all relevant information.
- The IRS will answer your questions promptly, accurately and thoroughly.
- When collecting tax, the IRS will treat you with courtesy
- You will be contacted only between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.
- The IRS won’t contact your employer if the agency knows the employer doesn’t allow such contact.
- The IRS won’t make aggressive phone calls that threaten arrest or prison.
- The agency must provide you with information about how to get help from the Taxpayer Advocate Service in all statutory notices of deficiency or delinquency.
- If you are eligible for Low Income Taxpayer Clinic help, the IRS will provide information about your legal options.
If you have a question about these rights or a question about tax preparation, you can find answers directly on IRS.gov. In general, any letter or notice you receive from the IRS will also have a phone number on the top right corner.
You can also access Taxpayer Advocate Service Publication 556, Examination of Returns, Appeal Rights, and Claims for Refund. Or find any form or publication you may need at IRS.gov under Forms and Publications About Your Appeal Rights Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process.
Whether or not you are a client of Teipen Selanders Poynter & Ayres, our team is available to answer your questions and concerns. Just give us a call.